Archdiocese of Hyderabad

St. Mary’s Basilica(1854) - Secunderabad

st marys basilica secunderabad
altar of st marys basilica secunderabad

St. Mary’s Basilica(1854) - Secunderabad


Our Lady of the Assumption

Feast Day

15th August

Parish Celebration on

15th August

Pastoral Care

Archdiocesan Priest






St. Mary’s Basilica
H.No. 43, Sarojini Devi Road Secunderabad - 500 025, T.S.

Former Priests In-Charge / Parish Priests

Archdiocesan Priests: Fr. Murphy, Fr. O’ Brien, Fr. Drake, Fr. Hampson, Fr. Barbero, Fr. Pozzi, Fr. Caprotti, Fr. Vigano, Fr. Valentino Bigi, Fr. Civati, Fr. P. Carlino, Fr. Rocca, Fr. A.O. Negri, Fr. J. Manconi, Fr. P. Barett, Fr. J. Oiate, Fr. Pezzoni, Fr. J.B. D’Souza, Fr. I. Pagani, Fr. L.F. Vaz, Fr. D. Grassi, Fr. Aprisso, Fr. P.G. Vastavino, Fr. B. Marianna, Fr. Silveevatta, Fr. A. Beretta, Fr. FX Pinto (1936 - 1938), Fr. C. Longhi (1938 - 1953), Fr. P. Fernando, Fr. Papaiah (1953 - 1962), Fr. T. C. Rayappa, Fr. Benny, Fr. Y. Bali (1973 - 1977), Fr. B. Julian (1979 - 1980), Fr. Henry D’ Souza, Fr. Annapureddy Inniah, Fr. Udumala Anthaiah, Fr. J. Studden (1986 - 1991), Fr. Chopparapu Arogyam, (1991 - 1996), Fr. Ch. Chinnaiah, (1996 - 2001), Fr. Thanugundla Solomon, (2001 - 2007), Fr. Thumma Solomon, (2007 - 2010), Fr. Yeruva Bala Showreddy (May 2010 - 2018), Msgr. Swarna Bernard (2018 - August 2020), Fr. Thumma Solomon (Sept. 2020 - 2022), Fr. Marneni Argogyam (2022 - till date)

Lay Ministries

Legion of Mary, Vincent De Paul, Youth Group and BCC.

Brief History of Secunderabad Parish

St. Mary’s Minor Basilica is an imposing landmark and a magnificent sight on Sarojini Devi Road, Secunderabad. It was formerly known as St. Mary’s Cathedral while it was the principal Church of the Vicariate of Hyderabad. From 1500 till 1832, the Diocese of Hyderabad, then known as the Vicariate of Hyderabad, had small pockets of Christians, who were visited at irregular intervals by missionaries of Theatine Order and Carmelite Fathers. It was in 1839 that Fr. Daniel Murphy at first searched for a place to build a Church in Hyderabad, which was then the Capital of the Kingdom of Nizam, where no religion was looked kindly upon except Islam. Secunderabad was therefore considered as an alternative site and in 1840 Fr. Murphy started building St. Mary’s Cathedral which was completed by 1850. He also built St. Francis Xavier Church in Bolarum in 1842. As years passed by Pope Gregory XVI raised Fr. Murphy to the office of Bishop and appointed him as the first Vicar Apostolic of Hyderabad on 20 May, 1851 erecting Hyderabad as an independent Vicariate. However, Sir Henry Pottinger, the British Resident appears to have crossed swords with Fr. Murphy and for almost two years refused to allow him to return to Secunderabad. Hence, the latter was obliged to live at Chaderghat on the Borders of the Nizams dominion with Fr. O’Brien, Fr. Drake and Fr. Hampson as his Assistants.

Bishop Murphy opened All Saints Seminary School to train native students for the Priesthood. It was opened first at Secunderabad and later transferred to Hyderabad in 1857. Bishop Murphy then applied to the PIME (Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions of Milan for Missionaries). Between 1857 and 1864 the PIME sent 6 Priests from Milan. The then Bishop invited the Sisters of Loretto to come to Secunderabad. The first group of two sisters arrived on 21st December, 1856 but for medical reasons, they left for good in 1860. Bishop Murphy had to look after the Churches in far flung areas like Trimulgherry, Mudfort, Bolarum and Hyderabad. At that time, the British regiment was stationed at Secunderabad. The Catholic population went up to four figures. Bishop Murphy was a good administrator with exemplary zeal. He left India in 1864 on grounds of ill health. He was sent to Australia where he was chosen Bishop of Tasmania in 1866. He passed away in 1907. Though the stated reason for his departure from Hyderabad was said to be ill health, the real reason was buried with him in his grave in Tasmania. With the sudden departure of Fr. Murphy, The Vicariate was vacant for almost two years.

Fr. Barbero Dominico PIME (1855-82) who was already working in Hyderabad Mission was appointed the next Vicar Apostolic in 1864. He too proved to be a good administrator and he invited the Sisters of St. Ann of Turin to Secunderabad. They arrived at Secunderabad in 1871 and established a Convent and an Orphanage. Fr. Barbero also invited the Sisters of Charity who arrived at Secunderabad on 07th September, 1869, they however left Secunderabad for Krishnagar but returned in 1905 to take up medical work in KEM Hospital; that same year they took over St. Francis Convent. Fr. Barbero, who was a friend of The Nizams’ First Minister, sought permission to construct a place for Divine worship at Hyderabad. After getting the required permission, the foundation of present day St. Joseph’s Church (later Cathedral) was laid on 19th March, 1870 and was opened for Divine worship on Christmas day 1875. Pope Leo XII notified St. Joseph’s Church to be the Cathedral of the Diocese. Msgr. Barbero was consecrated Bishop on 03rd April, 1870 and became second Vicar Apostolic till his death on 18th October, 1882.

Fr. Caprotti Pietro PIME (1857-1897) came to Secunderabad in 1857, became Parish Priest and returned to Hyderabad to become Rector of All Saints School, Hyderabad. He was consecrated as the First Bishop of Hyderabad in 1886 when Hyderabad became a Diocese. With the notification of St. Joseph’s Church as the Cathedral of the Diocese in 1887, St. Mary’s ceased to be the principal Church of the Vicariate, though it would still continue to draw the largest Congregation for liturgical services and most fervent prayers from people of all religions and denominations. He died in June 1897. Fr. Vigano Pietro PIME came to Hyderabad in 1880. He was Parish Priest of St. Mary’s Church for a short term. As he was consecrated Bishop in 1898, he invited Little Sisters of the Poor who opened their Home for the Aged in Secunderabad in 1907. Later he invited the FMM Sisters to Hyderabad who started Rosary Convent. On 15th November, 1908, he was recalled to Rome at the request of Pope Pius X to head the PIME in Rome.

Fr. Valentino Bigi PIME served as the Parish Priest from 1880 to 1906. Fr. Bigi opened St. Mary’s School for the poor boys which later became a High School and a Junior College. He also started St. Patrick’s School to cater the educational needs of Anglo-Indian boys. He also opened the ‘Widow’s Home’ known as ‘Bigi’s Home’. The huge bells which we hear at St. Mary’s Church were a presentation for Fr. Bigi’s Golden Jubilee of his Priestly Ordination. The bells were installed in 1901. His contributions along with Fr. Marco Civati PIME are remembered and honoured even today with their bodies being buried in the sanctuary of the Church. As times passed, there were successive Priests who looked after the Parish of St. Mary’s Church which was growing slowly and steadily and a lot of improvements and renovations were done. The beautiful Baptismal Font made of marble with St. John the Baptist baptising Jesus was the idea of Fr. Beretta Alfonso PIME in 1936.

Fr. Menconi Giuseppe PIME, who had come to Hyderabad in 1893, was immediately stationed at Secunderabad. Almost till his death (23rd March, 1919), he served the people in this Parish. He is buried at the Mettuguda Cemetery. He was so loved by the people that the Cemetery itself began to be referred by his name, Muncan Samiyaar Kalre in Tamil (Father Menconi’s Grave/Cemetery). Over the years, many structural changes were planned and executed owing to the steady growth of the Parish. Fr. Mariani Cesare PIME, the Parish Priest, undertook major renovations starting from 20th March, 1943 by demolishing an existing wall and making archways for east and west bay rooms; divine platform railings for the sanctuary, ornamental shelves for keeping holy water and cement steps to the sides. In 1938, Fr. Carlo Longhi PIME, became Parish Priest and served for 16 years before being transferred to USA in 1954.

Fr. Pancras Fernando (A Sinhalese Priest from Sri Lanka, compatriot of Fr. Roch who served at Khairatabad) succeeded him in 1954. He was a servant of the poor-very generous and apostolic. Memories of this great soul are still fresh in the hearts of his numerous beneficiaries. The respect that he was able to command from all sections of the society is unmatched. He served the Parish for 19 long years before the transfer of responsibilities to Fr. Y. Bali in 1973. After a brief illness he passed away on 16th July, 1981. He was so loved by the people that on popular demand he was buried in the Church campus; the mortal remains were later exhumed and shifted inside the Church in 2000.

Fr. Yeruva Bali (1973-1977) improved the Church grounds by laying a concrete floor. In the late 1970’s the altar railings were dismantled in accordance with the spirit of Vatican II. Fr. J. Studden (1986-1991) undertook repairs inside the Church. The entire walls were plastered externally, polished stones were laid at the side altars and the Sanctuary was extended. The star- shaped Grotto and Infant Jesus Shrine were erected during his time. Fr. C. Arogyam (1991-1996) undertook painting of the entire Church. He installed electrical and lighting system for the Church. In 2007, St. Mary’s Church was decorated with the prestigious 12th Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) Award. Fr. Thanugundla Solomon as Parish Priest organized Centenary Celebrations of St. Sebastian’s Chapel at Regimnetal Bazar of Basilica Parish on 25th September, 2003. Msgr. Thumma Solomon as Parish Priest (2007-2010) built Pieta Statue, renovated the Church, Sanctuary, Sacristy and built two Halls behind the Church and it was blessed and inaugurated by Archbishop Marampudi Joji.

During Fr. Yeruva Balashowreddy as Parish Priest on 25th December, 2012 during the Mid-night Mass, Archbishop Thumma Bala made an Official Announcement that St. Mary’s Church has been raised to the level of a Minor Basilica. St. Mary’s is the first Church in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana to be declared a Basilica by the Vatican. It is a historic and holy moment of pride not only for Christians but also for Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for the International Recognition. It is a privilege for all the parishioners and for all the people of undivided Andhra Pradesh as it is the first of its kind in the State. Fr. Y. Balashowreddy built Adoration Chapel, and 4 Storied-building for Pilgrim Quarters in the Basilica campus. Archdiocese of Hyderabad together with Parish Priest of St. Mary’s Basilica, Fr. Y. Balashowreddy, Parish Clergy, Council Members and Parish Community on 01st May, 2016 celebrated two very auspicious and significant events of St. Mary’s Basilica’s History, namely, the Quartoseptcentennial (175 years) Jubilee and the elevation of St. Mary’s Church to the status of a ‘Minor Basilica’. The Decree designating it as ‘Minor Basilica’ was issued on 07th November, 2008 by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

They recalled with sincere & heart-felt thanks the keen interest and great efforts put-in by Archbishop Marampudi Joji in applying to Rome an earnest request & with all the necessary documentation to elevate it to the State of Minor Basilica and for obtaining the status of ‘Minor Basilica’ to St. Mary’s Church, Sec’bad. His Excellency, Archbishop Salvatore Pinnacchio, Apostolic Nuncio to India & Nepal, New Delhi, presided over the Eucharistic Celebration, blessed & inaugurated the Adoration Chapel, and also was the Chief-guest of these two mega events which began with Car Procession from Archbishop’s House to St. Mary’s Basilica. New 4 Storied-building was blessed and inaugurated by Archbishop Most Rev. Thumma Bala and other Bishops, etc. The presence & participation of Archbishop and Bishops of various Arch/Dioceses of both the Telugu States was a great blessing. The other dignitaries present for the occasion were Major Superiors, Priests, Men & Women Religious, VIPs of Public Administration & Political life, Police Department, Municipality & Electricity Departments, Media Personnel both electronic & print. The Faithful of St. Mary’s Basilica & from different Parishes, Brothers & Sisters of other Faiths participated in large numbers.

The Various Committees who took care of the organization of the whole event are: Core Committee with Msgr. Swarna Bernard as the Convener & Fr. Yeruva Balshowreddy, Parish Priest of St. Mary’s Basilica as Co-convener, and sub-committees: Finance, Liturgy, Publicity, Invitation and Reception, Food, Cultural & Venue and also Archdiocesan Curia. A special mention should be made about the hard work & committed services of Fr. Yeruva Balshowreddy, Parish Priest, Parish Clergy, Parish Council Members, Parish Community & all the Seminarians of Archdiocese of Hyderabad. Special mention should also be made about the book compiled & published by Fr. Y. Balashowreddy & Mr. Ronald James Deshmukh, namely, ‘Endearing Journey’ which contains St. Mary’s Church history and was released on this historic occasion.

They thanked the good Lord for all His blessings and for making it possible to have the opportunity to come together to commemorate the wonderful & historical occasion of two mega events and come to know the progress of St. Mary’s Church that was started in 1840.

This Church initially had very humble beginnings as a House of Prayer and started developing steadily and today it stands with pride as glorious and a magnificent Basilica in two Telugu states of Telangana & Andhra Pradesh. In a way it reflects the Faith & traditions of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad, even the Catholic Community of the state of Telangana. They recalled the keen interest & great efforts put-in by Archbishop Marampudi Joji in applying to Rome an earnest request & with all the necessary documentation to elevate it to the Status of Minor Basilica and for obtaining the status of ‘Minor Basilica’ to St. Mary’s Church, Secunderabad. The publication and public celebration of the same got delayed a bit and in the meantime Archbishop Marampudi Joji passed away because of massive heart-attack on 27th August, 2010. May his soul rest in peace.

Special thanks to PIME Society and PIME Missionaries (Bishops, Priests & Brothers) and the Men & Women Religious from Europe who took up the mission work in Telangana area and in Krishna and West Godavari Districts, out of which, six Dioceses have been formed: 1) Hyderabad Archdiocese 2) Vijayawada Diocese, 3) Warangal Diocese, 4) Nalgonda Diocese, 5) Eluru Diocese and 6) Khammam Diocese. Special thanks to the native Archbishops/Bishops & Priests, Men & Women Religious, who have rendered yeomen services for the development & growth of the Mission in this area and growth of the St. Mary’s Church/ Parish over the last 175 years. Special thanks also to all the Faithful who contributed one way or the other, directly or indirectly for the growth & development of St. Mary’s Church and now ‘Minor Basilica’.

‘Endearing Journey’ is indeed a beautiful book that traces out the Church’s iconic history, an endearing legacy, never-told- before stories, and the selflessness of spirited Catholic missionaries that brought the Faith to us, specifically with reference to the foundations of this Church of St. Mary’s Basilica, 175 years ago. ‘Endearing Journey’ attempts to tell the story of a growing and struggling Church in particular from its footing in 1840 A.D. The compiler skillfully begins with the advent of Christianity into India, and then draws the reader into the Carnatic Mission with the early Telugu conversions, followed by the formation of the Vicariate of Hyderabad and eventually Hyderabad turning into Archdiocese. The journey is narrated so well and the untold stories woven into them add the extra flavour and depth. The fifteen chapters of the Book are classified into primarily three groups, the first seven chapters broadly cover the entry of Christianity into India, then narrates the evangelization work in the southern lands and funnelling down to the arrival of Fr. Daniel Murphy to Hyderabad Region, followed by the entry of PIME missionaries and the formation of the Hyderabad Diocese. The second part takes us right into St. Mary’s Basilica’s architecture, gothic designs and untold stories, relics and antiques; it also importantly mentions the significant contributions of the past Priests and Ordinaries here at the Church and how St. Ann’s Institution came into being. It outlines the various spiritual activities and programs that keep the heart of the Basilica pulsating through the year and so on. The third part finally leads the reader into the Church’s future plans and goals keeping in mind the Bicentennial event in 2040. While it ends with a pleasantly surprising chapter befitting to the Patroness, Our Lady of Assumption.

Archbishop Thumma Bala celebrated thanksgiving Mass at St. Mary’s Basilica, Sec’bad, on 15th August, 2016 on the occasion of the Feast of St. Mary’s Basilica Parish.

Fr. Yeruva Balashowreddy also took intiative to construct new Presbytery, Our Lady’s Shrine, Calvary and Museum in the Basilica campus. After obtaining the necessary permissions from the authorities concerned and from Archbishop Thumma Bala, he first demolished the old Presbytery and started the new Presbytery construction. The foundation stone for it was laid by Archbishop Thumma Bala in the presence of Parish Clergy, Council & Community, together with the construction of Our Lady’s Shrine, Calvary and Museum. Meanwhile Fr. Y. Balashowreddy also installed in St. Mary’s Basilica Church very professional sound system first of its kind in our Churches in the Archdiocese. After successful completion of the above-said constructions, on 13th May, 2018, Archbishop Thumma Bala blessed and inaugurated: 1. The New Presbytery (4 storied Building) which consists of rooms for Parish Clergy, Parish Office purpose, Room for Religious Articles and a few rooms for Pilgrim Quarters, 2. Our Lady’s Shrine, 3. Calvary and 4. St. Mary’s Basilica Museum consisting of Religious articles of historical nature, holy and sacred things, etc. On 19th May, 2018 Msgr. Swarna Bernard, V.G. was appointed the new Parish Priest of the Basilica.

Apart from the pastoral ministry of the above mentioned Parish, Archdiocese also established few institutions in this Parish territory. St. Mary’s High School was established in 1885 by Fr. Valentino Bigi. The School has been rendering quality education for 134 glorious years. The School provides co-education from the academic year 2004 onwards. Present strength of the School in the Academic year (2019-2020) is 2200. St. Mary’s Junior College (Co-Education) was established in 1982. Present strength of the College in the Academic year (2019-2020) is 1200. St. Mary’s Degree College was established by Fr. Julian Studden on 30th July, 2001. Present strength of the College in the Academic year (2019-2020) is 1455. St. Mary’s College of Pharmacy was established by Fr. G. Louis Reddy in 2007. Present strength of the College in the Academic year (2019-2020) is 197. St. Mary’s B.Ed College was established in 2007. Present strength of the College in the Academic year (2019-2020) is 197.

Diocesan, Regional And Other Institutions In This Parish

1. ARCHBISHOP’S HOUSE (HEAD-QUARTERS) : Archbishop Mark Gopu (1953-1972), the First Archbishop of Hyderabad, built the present Archbishop’s House, a magnificent structure, between 1956 to 1958. Archbishop’s House is considered as a unique building among all such structures in the country and it is said to be a mini version of Kensington Palace, which is located in London and which is not far from Buckingham Palace the official residence of the British royalty. Archbishop Mark Gopu, while staying in Vianney Home in the present Archbishop’s House Campus, which at that time was a building with tiled roof, built the present Archbishop’s House. After the completion of the Building Archbishop Mark Gopu shifted his residence to the present Archbishop’s House. Earlier Bishop of Hyderabad was staying in St. Patrick’s Villa of Garrison at Trimulgherry, built by British authorities for the Catholic Chaplain and by the time Most Rev. Mark Gopu became the Bishop of Hyderabad on 08th January, 1953, the Bishop of Hyderabad was staying at Vianney Home. The Diocese of Hyderabad was raised to the status of Archdiocese of Hyderabad on 19th September, 1953.

Archbishop Samineni Arulappa, the Second Archbishop of Hyderabad, during his tenure (1972-2000), in the year 1974 renovated the ground floor and built the present First Floor of Vianney Home & on 12th December, 1974 it was blessed by Most Rev. Dr. John Gordon, the Apostolic Pronuncio. Till 1980’s the Priests’ who stayed at Vainney Home were the Administrative Staff of Amruthavani, Archdiocesan Retired Priests, the Executive Director of Hyderabad Archdiocesan Social Service Society. In 1980’s the Administrative Staff Priests of Amruthavani shifted to the present TCBC Centre campus at Sikh Village, Secunderabad. Earlier meetings for the Clergy of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad were held in the ground floor hall of Vianney Home. After Archbishop Samineni Arulappa built the First floor of the Vianney Home, meetings for the Clergy are being conducted in the First Floor Hall and other rooms in the First floor are being used as Guest Rooms for Priests and the ground floor hall was made in to three portions and renovated : one portion made as a Chapel and the second portion as Dining Hall for the Priests staying at Vianney Home and the third one used as Auditing Room. In the year 1975, Archbishop built the present Fatima Nilayam and it was blessed by H.E. Cardinal J. Parecattil on 13th January, 1976. The ground floor of the Fatima Nilayam was used as Head-Quarters for Social Service Society and the first floor as a Hostel for outstation Sisters. He is the one who started the three Societies : ‘The Archdiocese of Hyderabad Society’, ‘Hyderabad Archdiocese Educational Society’ (HAES) and ‘Hyderabad Archdiocese Social Service Society’ (HASSS). Archbishop’s House is the Head-Quarters of the three Societies. Metropolitan Archbishop of Hyderabad is the Chairman of the above-mentioned three Societies.

Archbishop Marampudi Joji, the Third Archbishop of Hyderabad, during the beginning of his tenure (2000-2010), that is in the year 2000, renovated Archbishop’s Office - laying of Marble flooring, wood work, false ceiling, etc., wood work in Archbishop’s House Secretariat, Archives, Procurator’s Room, etc., putting into order the documentation and files in Archbishop’s House Archives and laying Marble flooring in all the rooms & verandahs of Archbishop’s House. Archbishop Marampudi Joji also upgraded the garden in the Archbishop’s House campus by planting green saplings brought from Rajahmundry, etc. He also built the present Worker’s Quarters.

Archbishop Thumma Bala, the Fourth Archbishop of Hyderabad, during his tenure (2011-2020), in view of the celebration of the two historical events of St. Mary’s Basilica, Secunderabad on 01st May, 2016: The Quartoseptcentennial (175 years) Jubilee and the elevation of St. Mary’s Church to the status of ‘Minor Basilica’, undertook the following renovation and repair works in the Archbishop’s House Campus: Laying Interlocking Tavers Blocks (Tiles) in the open space in front & sides of the Archbishop’s House and Vianney Home; Painting of Archbishop’s House, polishing of furniture and construction of 3 Water Pits around 3 bore wells in Archbishop’s House Campus and these pits allow the rainwater to replenish groundwater by recharging the underground aquifers and to recharge bore wells or just to help the water infiltration in that area. In the year 2016 after due discussions in the Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body Meetings held on 03rd May, 2016 and 21st July, 2016 and Archdiocesan Consulters’ Body passing a resolution in its meeting on 21st July, 2016 regarding shifting the Retired/ Elderly Priests from Vianney Home to the Home for Retired/ Elderly/Sick Priests at Khairatabad, Hyderabad, as this Home is next to Vijay Marie Hospital and the Priests will have medical services, always available, shifted the Retired/Elderly Priests from Vianney Home to the Home for Retired/Elderly/Sick Priests at Khairatabad, Hyderabad and a Priest In-charge is appointed there to look after them. In the year 2017, 22 CCTV Cameras are fixed in Archbishop’s House Campus as a safety measure as per the suggestion of police department, and in the same year painting of Vianney Home & renovation of Guest Rooms in Archbishop’s House and installation of R.O. Water Filter were undertaken. In the year 2018, installation of Newly Hydrolic Lift & construction of new Water Tank behind Fr. Procurator ’s room were undertaken and Archbishop blessed and inaugurated them on 31st July, 2018. Further works that were undertaken during 2018 are ‘Mesh Fencing’ over the compound wall around the Archbishop’s House Campus and Extension of the Dining Hall in order to accommodate all the Priests during Recollections, Annual Retreats, etc were undertaken and it was blessed & inaugurated by Archbishop on 19th November, 2018. In the year 2019 due to heavy rains compound wall behind Archbishop’s House collapsed and therefore, constructed new RCC Compound Wall.

Archbishop’s House Campus consists of Archbishop’s House, Vianney Home, Worker’s Quarters and another Building containing kitchen and store rooms in the ground floor, and few rooms built in the first floor used as a Convent whenever Sisters of a Religious Congregation stayed there and rendered their services in Archbishop’s House Kitchen, HASSS Office and other Regional Commissions. Holy Spirit Sisters (ALCS/OSS) from 2004 to 2010 and Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (FIHM) Sisters from May 2011 upto April, 2019, while staying in the above-said Convent rendered their services as above-said. Archdiocesan level Recollections, Annual Retreats in Two groups, Priests’ Senate Body Meetings, Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body Meetings, Annual General Body Meetings, etc., are held in Archbishop’s House Campus.

In the Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body Meeting held on 12th July, 2019 a point was discussed with regard to the proposal to build a Multi-Purpose Building in the present place of Vianney Home, and after due discussion the Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body recommended that this matter be discussed further in the Priests’ Senate Body Meeting. Accordingly in the Priests’ Senate Body Meeting held on 07th August, 2019 it was discussed & after due discussion the Priests’ Senate Body recommended to remove the present Vianney Home Building and to construct a Multi- Purpose Building in its place, which could be used for various purposes like Recollections, Retreats, Rents, HAES programs like Training of Teachers, etc, and therefore, unanimously agreed for the same. This recommendation of the Priests’ Senate Body was further discussed in the Archdiocesan Consulters’ Body Meeting held on 27th September, 2019 and after due discussion the Archdiocesan Consulters’ Body resolved to build Multi- Purpose Building in the present place of Vianney Home in the Archbishop’s House Campus and to work towards that purpose. The administration of the Archdiocese began to work towards this project but due to Corona virus pandemic temporarily halted and would be taken-up when there is conducive atmosphere.

2. RETIRED ARCHBISHOP’S HOUSE : The idea of building Retired Archbishop’s House was first discussed and approved in the HAES Governing Meeting and this approval was presented in the Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body Meeting held on 18th January, 2019 and after due discussion the Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body resolved to build Retired Archbishop’s House at old St. Mary’s Boarding Home in St. Mary’s High School premises, and it would be a residence for the Archbishop Emeritus of Hyderabad. To build this new Building, only the inside portion of the old St. Mary’s Boarding Home was demolished and the remaining portion of the Boarding Home was not disturbed.

3. The Hyderabad Archdiocese Social Service Society (HASSS) : The Hyderabad Archdiocese Social Service Society (HASSS) is the social wing of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad. HASSS began its journey in 1973, to establish a just society, wherein all men, women and children experience the fullness of life and they are empowered to discover their potentialities and enable to live with dignity. HASSS is registered under Andhra Pradesh Public Societies Registration Act 1 of 1350 Fasli No 195 of 1973 it also has recognition to receive Foreign funds (FCRA) as well as u/s 12A of the Income Tax Act, 80G for tax exemption. The vision of HASSS is to strive to establish a just and equitable society based on Gospel values. Since its inception The HASSS has been promoting, executing various developmental programs to alleviate the vulnerable and marginalized poor in the Archdiocese of Hyderabad. It has a full time Executive Director-Priest appointed by the Archbishop and a functional Governing Body which directs the organization from time to time. HASSS has been providing various intervention measures for the uplifting the poor sections of society irrespective of caste, creed and colour. The area of operation extends in the newly formed rural districts of Telangana namely Nizamabad, Kamareddy, Medak, Siddipet, Sangareddy, Vikarabad, Medchal/ Malkajgiri and Rangareddy along with the Urban settlements of Hyderabad and Secunderabad twin cities of the state capital of Telangana State.

HASSS as a non-profit and moderate humanitarian organization extends its program activities to different parts of the Archdiocese to help poor to cope with poverty in different forms prevailing in our society. With this aim, we implement our project activities in Educational, Social, Charitable and institutional. HASSS has practically developed successful partnership with foreign agencies to reach out to the poor and marginalized. HASSS had adopted a suitable strategy to help achieve the national developmental goals like education, basic health, care services, water & sanitation, health & hygiene, poverty alleviation, economic empowerment, disaster preparedness & response, women empowerment, organic farming, food security, promoting sustainable livelihoods and reducing vulnerability to climate change, income generation activities, skill development activities and encouraging market oriented skills to the youth etc.

HASSS is determined to carry forward its programs to reach the set goals. It is our strong moral conviction that only materials gains cannot take an individual or a family out of the vicious cycle of abject poverty. Therefore our development programs are specially designed with moral and social values to promote mutual cooperation and empathy in our society. HASSS extends charity towards educational and medical assistance to the poor. HASSS aims to work towards development of nature and environment, create awareness about nature and its preservation, dangers of using plastic and Awareness campaign on cancer; Cancer prevention and care programs etc. The Hyderabad Archdiocese Social Service Society is continuously expanding its program activities with the valuable contribution from its board members, stakeholders, donors, well-wishers and workforce, which is highly commendable.

They appreciate and acknowledge the contributions made by the pioneers in steering the organization with good governance for comprehensive development in urban/rural areas of Archdiocese of Hyderabad. HASSS takes the privilege of gratefully thanking its past staff services who with untiring efforts, careful coordination, upholding ideals contributing their efforts and commitment towards alleviating the vulnerable poor and marginalized sections of society. HASSS places on record the yeomen services of the past & present directors. Fr. Raymond Ambroise (1973-1976), Fr. T.C. Rayappa (1976-1978), Fr. A. Innaiah (1979-1982), Fr. Kandula Charles (1982-1983), Fr. Henry D’Souza (1983-1988), Fr. Thumma Francis (1989-2001), Fr. Mulaguri Dhanraju (2001-2004), Fr. Madanu Prathap (2004- 2009), Fr. Guvvala Anthony (2009-2013), Fr. Marneni Vara Prasad (1989) & (2013-2015), Fr. Kurapati Jaya Prathap (2015-till date).

4. APSSFAndhra Pradesh Social Service Forum (APSSF) is the official organisation of Telugu Catholic Bishops’ Council (TCBC) established in 2008 by TCBC and registered in March 2010 under Andhra Pradesh Societies Registration Act, 2001. It is the consortium of 14 Diocesan Social Service Societies (DSSSs) working in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana States. APSSF’s administrative office is located in Hyderabad Archdiocese Social Service Society building, SD Road, Secunderabad. All the Directors of DSSSs are the Governing Body members of APSSF. APSSF’s main activities are coordinating disaster relief and rehabilitation, community based disaster preparedness, school safety, disseminating Catholic Social Teaching, capacitating & strengthening DSSS staff in strategic planning & project cycle Management, facilitating scholarships for Christian Minority students, promoting climate resilient natural farming. The present Chairman of APSSF is Most Rev. Poola Anthony, Bishop of Kurnool, Vice-Chairman is Most Rev. Addagatla Innayya, Bishop Emeritus of Srikakulam and Executive Director & Secretary is Fr. Bichapogu Anthaiah from the Diocese of Nellore. Fr. Bichapogu Anthaiah passed away on 22nd June, 2020 due to cardiac arrest. Later Fr. Kanapala Kiran Kumar was appointed Executive Director & Secretary of APSSF on 11th July, 2020.

5. CARITAS INDIACaritas India was established in 1962. It is the official development arm (registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI 1860 (the Punjab Amendment Act 1957)) of the Catholic Church in India. Caritas India is a member of Caritas confederation of more than 160-member organizations working in nearly 200 countries, making it the second largest humanitarian network in the world. Propelled by the commitment to preserve the dignity and sacredness of human personality, Caritas India serves the underprivileged sections of society, hailing from socially excluded communities, the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes by exercising preferential actions for the most marginalized. The present interventions of Caritas India are in the areas of Climate Adaption Agriculture and Food Sovereignty, Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Risk Reduction, Anti-Human Trafficking, Safe Migration, Child Rights, Health & Nutrition and Peace Building.

6. AMRUTHAVANI COMMUNICATIONS CENTRE: Amruthavani Communications Centre came into its existence in the late 1960s. To be more precise in 1965 Catholic Information Centre had come into existence. Eventually it had turned to be Andhra Communications Service Centre and as such got Registered under Registrar of Societies in 1973. It acquired the present title with effect from 02nd March, 1977 “Amruthavani Communications Centre”. Ever since its inception it started having inroads into the spiritual lives of the Faithful. With its comprehensive ‘Vision & Mission’ Amruthavani proved to be a vital tool for the effective evangelization. The pioneers championed in securing for this noble organization the much needed resourcefulness with a far- sighted precision. The establishment had a steady progression both in its influence over the Missionary Activity of the Church in the Telugu Region and in its structural consolidation. The Hierarchy with the empowerment assigned to its very nature, supplemented in the making of this Organization. It scaled to its highest point of recognition in society with its role in the production of a feature film viz. Karunamayudu.

Meanwhile the revolutionary changes that emerged in the field of Social Communications have only increased thrust on the Organization. Life in the Society has been very much influenced by rapid use of communication devices in all spheres. There is such a lot of information and disinformation available at the fingers of each individual. Often ‘the Truth’ hardly finds place in the mess of all these. Amruthavani Communications Centre is gearing forward and reaching out to the Faithful of the Telugu Region and to the Vast Telugu Speaking World scattered all over the globe. Propagation of Truth i.e. the Immortal Word (Amruthavani) in its full strength is the single point agenda of it. The different departments viz. Literature, Audio-Visual, Online Communications, etc. are putting in efforts and spearheading the Organization work to its holistic potentialities. It’s Pioneer is Fr. Wijngaards and it’s Patron is Telugu Catholic Bishops’ Council and it’s Departments are Literature, Production Centre (Audio-Visual), Online Communications and Radio Veritas Asia. At present Fr. Pappula Sudhakar was appointed as Director & Administrator of Amruthavani and Radio Veritas on 19th September, 2020.

Men & Women Religious Congregations

Society Of Jesus (SJ) : The Andhra Region of the Jesuits came into existence on the 05th November, 1972. They owe this debt of gratitude to the Madurai Jesuit Province. Archbishop Samineni Arulappa invited the Jesuits to work in the Archdiocese of Hyderabad. He offered St. Patrick’s High School to the Jesuits. Since then, the Jesuits run St. Patrick’s High School.

Sisters Of St. Ann Of Providence (SAP) : Sisters established their community at Secunderabad in 1871. Mission of the Congregation is Education. They have St. Ann’s High School (ISC) & St. Ann’s High School (SSC) established on 01st April, 1871, St. Ann’s College of Education on 19th January, 1966. They also have St. Ann’s Craft Centre and St. Joseph’s Orphanage at Secunderabad. Ministries in the Parish are Sacristy Work, Parish Work, catechism for children, catechism for the adults, Family Visits, BCC in different zones, choir, etc.

Daughters Of St. Paul (FSP) : Sisters established their community at Secunderabad in 1976. Mission of the Congregation is Evangelization through Social Communications. Ministries in the Parish are teaching catechism to Children on Sundays, member of the Parish Pastoral Council, being available for distribution of Holy Communion every Sunday, organizing BCC prayer meeting in families in Marredpally, taking part in Christmas Zonal Masses.

Congregation Of Catechist Sisters Of St. Ann (CSA) : Sisters established St. Anthony’s Convent in 1952 at Subashnagar, Secundrabad. Mission of the Congregation is teaching catechism through education and other apostolate. They have St. Anthony’s High School at Subhashnagar, Secunderabad which was established on 07th December, 1952. They are educating the children through School and teaching catechism in the School. Ministries in the Parish are visiting families, praying for the sick and helping in the Parish work.

Sisters Of Charity Of Saints Bartolomea Capitanio And Vincenza Gerosa (SCCG) : Sisters established their community in 1919. Mission of the Congregation is to be the Merciful Presence of Christ through the Works of Mercy. To reach this goal, the Congregation carries out Educational Services, Health Ministry, Social and Pastoral work. They have St. Francis High School (Kg to 10th) established in 1850. Strength of the School as for 2019-20 is 2568. St. Francis Junior College established in 1959 and the strength of the College is 1331 and St. Francis Children’s Home at Secunderabad was blessed and inaugurated by Archbishop Thumma Bala and the strength of it is 25. Therefore, they carry out their educational services through High School, Junior College and a Boarding Home for School Children, who are from rural and poor financial background. Ministries in the Parish are teaching catechism for children in the Parish, preparing children for First Holy Communion, animation of liturgy as and when required, participating in the Parish Council Meetings and visiting families of the Parish.

Missionaries Of Mary Mediatrix (MMM) : Sisters established their Mary Mediatrix Convent in 1985 at Padmarao Nagar, Secunderabad. Mission of the Congregation is direct evangelization, education in Schools, health care, social assistance, dispensaries, house visits, catechetics, group guidance and other activitities relevant either to evangelisation or human promotion. Ministries in the Parish are teaching catechism, preparing the children for Holy Communion, distribution of Holy Communion, house visits and other pious activities.

Missionaries Of Charity Sisters (MC) : Sisters established Nirmala Shishu Bhavan on 06th July, 1978. Mr. C. A. Rebello donated his house to Missionaries of Charity Sisters. That was also the wish of his wife, Mrs. Dr. Irene Rebello, who died in 1972. In July 1978, four Sisters arrived in Secunderabad. Since the house of Mr. Rebello was not yet ready, the Sisters stayed in Fatima Nilayam. Later, the Sisters established themselves at the house of Mr. Rebello and they already had a few abandoned children. Mission of the Congregation is looking after sick and dying destitute, looking after the poorest of the poor. At present, the Sisters are looking after 21 children in Nirmala Shishu Bhavan.