Archdiocese of Hyderabad

St. Joseph’s Cathedral(1820) - Gunfoundry Parish

St. Joseph’s Cathedral(1820) - Gunfoundry Parish

st johns baptist catholic church arul colony
st johns baptist catholic church arul colony

St. Joseph’s Cathedral(1820) - Gunfoundry Parish


St. Joseph

Feast Day

19th March

Parish Celebration on

1st May

Pastoral Care

Archdiocesan Priest




St. Francis Xavier Chapel, Goshamahal


St. Joseph’s Cathedral,
Gunfoundry Hyderabad - 500 001, T.S.

Former Priests In-Charge / Parish Priests

Padroado Priests/Irish Missionaries/Mep (Société des Missions-Étrangêres de Paris):Fr. John Luigi (1800), Msgr. Daniel Murphy (1848 - 1856), Fr. John Mac Issey (1855 - 1859), Fr. F. O’Brien (1859 - 1862).

PIME (Pontificio Istituto Missioni Estere or Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions): Fr. P. Fattori (1862 - 1865), Fr. A. Tagliabue (1866 - 1872), Fr. Lionus Malberti (1872 - 1893), Fr. P. Carlino & Fr. P. Vigano (1893 - 1896), Fr. Joseph Menconi (1896 - 1897), Fr. J. Piatti (1897 - 1898), Fr. Lionus Malberti (1898 - 1908), Fr. I. Pagani (1909 - 1918), Fr. H. Colli (1918 - 1920), Fr. Dante Magri (1920 - 1926), Fr. G. Arosio (1926 - 1933), Fr. Dante Magri (1934 - 1949), Fr. Francis Xavier Pinto (from Mangalore), (1949 - 1964), Fr. A.M. Sleevappa (in absentia for Fr. Pinto) 1950.

Archdiocesan Priests: Fr. Alfred Fernandez (later Bishop) (1964 - 1967), Fr. Bandanadam Julian (1967 - 1972), Fr. Yeruva Bali (1972 - 1973), Fr. Joseph S. D’Souza(1973 - 1975), Fr. Mulaguri Dhanaraju (1975 - 1981), Fr. Julian Studden (1981 - 1986), Fr. Chopparapu Arogyam (1986 - 1991), Fr. Henry D’Souza (1991 - 1996), Fr. Thumma Lourdu (1996 - 2003), Fr. Valentine J. D’mello (2003 - 2004), Fr. Chopparapu Arogyam (2004 - 2010), Msgr. Swarna Bernard (2010 - 2012), Fr. Aloysius Ephrem Raju Alex (2012 - 2018), Fr. Yeruva Bala Showreddy (2018 - till date).

Lay Ministries

St. Joseph Women Who Care, Altar Boys & Girls, Youth Group and Spouse of Christ Prayer Tower

Brief History of Gunfoundry Parish

BHAGYANAGAR or HYDERABAD was founded by Mohammed Quli Qutub Shah in 1589 during the reign of the Qutub Shahi Dynasty at Golconda from 1500 to 1686 AD. In 1687 Aurangazeb conquered it after a siege of eight months and annexed it to the Moghul Empire. Hyderabad became a separate state in 1724 under Mir Qamruddin Chin Qilich Khan, son of Aurangazeb’s General Gazi-ud-din Khan Feroz Jung on whom was conferred the title of Nizam-ul-mulk and Asaf Jah. He made himself virtually independent of Delhi and exercised a nominal authority over the entire South. The Nizam’s domain at that time was over the entire Deccan Region. The Asaf Jahi Dynasty lasted till 13th September, 1948 when Indian troops marched under into Hyderabad and Nizam VII was forced to accept to join Nizam domain in the Indian Union. Luis de Salvador, a Franciscan Missionary was sent to the Kingdom of Vijayanagar in 1505 and it was through him that the Telugu land had its first contact with Christianity. Antonio de Padrao another Franciscan came some time before 1530 and brought many to the faith. The Jesuits arrived about the year 1561 and worked in the Vijayanagar kingdom till the end of the century. But it took almost 30 years for them to have an easy access to the King of Vijayanagar to preach in his Kingdom, where they worked till the end of the century.

The Parish right now is growing very rapidly. Many residential colonies are springing up in its 15 kms radius. Even in places as far as Kondapur, NTPC Power Grid, and NFC; they have a Catholic presence of about 32 families and around 200 registered members. As more and more colonies keep mushrooming there will certainly be a tremendous increase in the Catholic population of Ghatkesar and its vicinity. Fr. Mathew Mundamattam MSFS has played pivotal role in developing the Mission Area afer Archbishop Marampudi Joji entrusted the entire Ghatkesar Mission to the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales (MSFS). Since then the MSFS have been rendering Pastoral services with zeal and enthusiasm. Fr. Kondala Joseph MSFS as Parish Priest built Immaculate Heart of Mary Church and on 10th September, 2006 Archbishop Marampudi Joji blessed & inaugurated it.

Pope Urban VIII appointed Matteo de Castro, a native of Goa, Vicar Apostolic of Idalkan and after the required permission received from the King of Bijapur, the Vicariate of Idalkan was confirmed on 3rd May, 1638 and the Kingdoms of Golconda and Pegu were included under this Vicariate in 1645. The Theatines worked in the Golconda Kingdom during this time and Francesco Manco who came to the Kingdom in December 1640 established communities at Golconda and Masulipatnam. While the Theatines were focusing on Masulipatnam the Augustinians arrived in the Kingdom of Golconda and were permitted by the King to construct the Churches in his Kingdom. It was during the Provincialship of Francisco da Piedade that they constructed the Church of our Lady of Good Succour at Bhagyanagar (Jahanuma) in 1652 (there were about 100 Catholics looked after by Anthony of St. Joseph) and the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary (Hyderabad), where there were about 300 Catholics looked after by Peter di Silveira. On the insistence of Propaganda Fide the Augustinians left the Mission in 1663 and the Theatines once again took care of the area.

It was only in 1759 that Gaetano Asiano came to Hyderabad and in order to have more European Christians in the army the Nizam permitted him to construct a Church and preach the Gospel in his dominion. By this time the Vicariate of Idalkan was handed over to the Carmelites on 20th September, 1696 with the Head-Quarters at Surat. In 1720, the island of Bombay was included in the Vicariate and gradually it acquired the name of Vicariate of Bombay. The Archbishop of Goa appointed a Priest in Hyderabad in 1798 who had the title of “Vicar Vara of the Eastern Ghauts” (sic) with a circle of Sub-stations including Bidar, Jalna, Illespur, Tandur, Nagpur, Amaravati and other unrecognizable names.

Vijayapuri Colony The Origin of the name ‘Gunfoundry’: Gunfoundry or Tope ka Sancha which was built by a French General Msgr. Raymond. Gunfoundry is located in a lane opposite to the Jamia Masjid Aliya and can be approached by the side lane of Lepakshi Emporium. It was one of the several cannonball factories set up in 1786. (Deccan Chronicle, 18th February, 2009, p. 22). The Vicar Apostolic of Bombay, Peter Alcantara sent Fr. John Luigi to Hyderabad on 28th April, 1800. In his report to Propaganda Fide on 28th December, 1800 he writes, “In the Kingdom of Golconda there are 7 Churches all built and administered by Jesuits. John Luigi was appointed Priest in Hyderabad.” Fr. Debuios MEP, writing to his superior on 26th March, 1802 says, “A few years earlier, Fr. Anthony a native Priest constructed a Church at Hyderabad to serve the needs of 1600 Christians in a place belonging to the East India Company.” Hyderabad was separated from the Vicariate of Bombay and was joined to the Vicariate of Madras in 1843. The Vicariate of Madras itself was detached from the Vicariate of Goa on 3rd July, 1832.

The Pioneers of the MissionFr. Daniel Murphy was working in Hyderabad since 1838. In September 1848 due to Padroado disturbances, he shifted to Chaderghat in Nizam’s Territory. A Seminary opened by him at Secunderabad in 1854 was shifted to Hyderabad in 1857 under the patronage of All Saints and thus began the very first Institute of the Vicariate. The Church at Hyderabad was entrusted to Fr. John Mac Issey in 1855 as Parish Priest under Murphy as Vicar Apostolic. To cater to the needs of girl students, the Sisters of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Loretto Sisters) arrived on 21st December, 1856, the feast of St. Thomas and were received by Fr. Murphy at St. Thomas Church, Hyderabad. The Muslim Government was not very open to other Religions and it was difficult to get the required permission. Lack of personnel also restrained the Sisters from working both in Secunderabad and Hyderabad. Meanwhile due to health reasons the Sisters left the Vicariate.

Msgr. Dominic Barbero, Vicar Apostolic after Msgr. Daniel Murphy enjoyed the favour of the First Minister of Nizam, Nawab Asman Jah. After getting the required permission on 15th December, 1869, Fr. A. Tagliabue bought an extensive plot of land near Kotha Basti, now Gunfoundry (at that time known as Chaderghat) to build a School, Church and Convent. Msgr. Petrus Caprotti, Vicar General laid the foundation for St. Joseph’s Church (the present day Cathedral) on 19th March, 1870. Fr. L. Malberti took charge in 1872 and with the aid of local Christians and his family and friends in Italy, he completed the main building that was opened for divine worship on Christmas Eve of 1875. In 1876, St. Joseph’s Minor Seminary was constructed (which now houses St. Joseph’s Degree & PG College). After the Vicariate of Hyderabad was made into a Diocese in 1886, in the consistory held on 17th March, 1887 Pope Leo XIII notified St. Joseph’s Church to be the Cathedral of the Diocese. Prior to this St. Mary’s Church, Secunderabad was the principal Church of the Vicariate. The Parish boundary, apart from the entire Nizam State extended from Krishna District in the East to Sholapur in the West, Trimulgherry in the North to Nellore in the South.

Sisters of St. Ann of Divine Providence of Turin started the Girls School in 1890. It slowly developed into the now famous Rosary Convent High School along with a branch in vernacular, St. Joseph’s Girls’ High School. The Towers and Façade of the Church were completed in 1891 and 5 (out of 8) bells shipped from Milan were installed in 1892. These magnificent bells, the best in the country, are attuned in such a fashion that, on the Proclamation of the Dogma of the Assumption, the members of the Cathedral Choir, under the direction of Mr. F.J. Campos played many Marian Hymns on these bells. All the statues, the beautiful mural carvings of the 14 Stations and various artifacts (now missing) were imported from Italy. Due to lack of candidates, the Seminary which was closed in 1894 was reopened by Msgr. Caprotti. It was closed again for the same reason and reopened by Dr. Vigano in 1900 and lasted till 1916. Msgr. Vismara reopened it in 1921 as an Apostolic School cum Minor Seminary till it was shifted in 1996 and converted to a Degree College. Sometime in between those years the Apostolic School was separated from the Minor Seminary and shifted to St. Mary’s High School premises in Secunderabad. St. Mary’s High School Boarding is notified as the Apostolic School of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad (which was closed in 2015-2016).

Msgr. Vigano invited the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM) and the Girls’ School was handed over to them on 15th December, 1903. The Little Sisters of the Poor were invited and a Home for the Aged was started in Mulk-a-pet (Malakpet) on 31st October, 1903. It was shifted to its present site (in Bhoiguda) on 29th June, 1907. The FMM Sisters started an Ambulatory on 12th August, 1911 and one of the Sisters was appointed Matron at Osmania General Hospital in 1913. In 1918, they started working at the Camp Hospital (Isolation Hospital, Niloufer “Fever Hospital”). Pleased by their work, Chapels were constructed by the Nizam in both the places-St. Michael’s at Osmania and St. Roch’s at the Camp Hospital. Msgr. Vismara invited the Franciscan brothers (OFM Minor) to administer All Saints’ School and they took charge on 21st June, 1925. They soon left to Bidar on 5th July, 1928 and Msgr. Vismara then invited the Brothers of St. Gabriel who took charge of All Saints High School on 2nd June, 1932. From there Brothers went on to St. Mark’s Boys Town, Jahanuma; Little Flower, Chirag-Ali-Lane and St. Paul’s, Hyderguda.

Entombed in the Cathedral are (i) Fr. L. Malberti, the man with a vision and a mission, who completed the onerous task of constructing the Cathedral under difficult circumstances of an unfriendly Muslim Regime. (ii) Msgr. Peter Caprotti, the beloved Rector of All Saints’ and the one who passionately gave his all for the Cathedral, loved this Church so much that though all the others were consecrated in Rome or in Milan, he chose to be consecrated here in this very Cathedral. His mortal remains were brought back to the Cathedral after he died at Yercaud. (iii) Msgr. Dennis Vismara, the “man who was full of virtue yet lived like a pauper”, as described by Bishop Beretta upon the death of this noble soul and most loved father of Hyderabad. He served the longest (38 years) as the Bishop of Hyderabad. His Bishopric did not deter him from cycling to any part of his Diocese, taking lift sometimes from Lorries or Buses, to pay a visit to his people and celebrating the Eucharist for them. (iv) Fr. D. Magri, the one who beautifully renovated the Altar using marble from Yercaud and added the altars of Our Lady and St. Anthony. HEH th Mir Osman Ali Khan, the 7 Nizam of Hyderabad was a frequent visitor to the Cathedral. He used to attend the Midnight services at the Cathedral. Upon his visit to the Cathedral on 24th December, 1950 to attend midnight Mass of Christmas, he gifted the clock on the tower, the oil painting of the Madonna by Murillo, the chandeliers. The furniture and many more were also gifts from the Nizam. He also helped in the maintenance of All Saints’ boarding and Orphanage. The Cathedral was supported by the munificence of the Nizam till the 1970’s i.e. the Bishop and also the Parish Priest got an allowance from his charities.

In 1953, the Archdiocese was handed over to the native Clergy, when Archbishop Mark Gopu became the first Archbishop of the new Metropolitan See. By this time the boundary of the Cathedral was much reduced to Nalgonda on the East, Mahabubnagar in the South, Vikarabad in the West and Trimulgherry in the North including the erstwhile Nizam State. In 1964, the Parish had its first native Parish Priest Fr. Alfred Fernandes, who was from the Cathedral itself and who went on to become the Bishop of Simla, Alahabad. After the Second Vatican Council, Fr. Mulaguri Dhanaraju installed the Altar facing the people in 1976. The Pastoral Institute for the Laity (Pastoral Centre) was started by PIME Missionaries in 1977. It was entrusted to the Diocesan Clergy in 1983. The Holy Family Dispensary in the Church premises was started in 1984.

Fr. Thumma Lourdu as Parish Priest built the stilt roof in front of the Church. Fr. Chopparapu Arogyam who succeeded him re-roofed the Church and also laid new flooring in the Church. The stilt roof was used for 2 years as alerternative Church when Cathedral was being re-roofed and the floor redone by Fr. Chopparapu Arogyam.

Indeed, St. Joseph’s has been the Mother Church for two centuries for the entire Deccan Plateau. The original Vicariate of Hyderabad is now home to ten Dioceses-Hyderabad: Vijayawada-1937, Bellary-1949, Warangal-1952, Nalgonda-1976, Aurangabad-1977, Eluru-1977, Khammam-1988, Adilabad-1999 and Gulbarga-2005. It is considered as one of the Heritage structures of the Government of united Andhra Pradesh. Many Churches and Shrines have been born of her. The latest Church united, which was bifurcated from her is the two centuries old St. Thomas Church at Sultan Bazar. The present boundary of the Parish is Gandhinagar-Nallakunta to the North, Hyderabad (Nampally) Railway Station to the West, Osmania Hospital to the South and YMCA-Narayanguda to the east. As the structure is ancient old and some of the parts of the Church were deteriorating, renovation works were taken up without disturbing the heritage structure.

The Church Bells : The Bells at St. Joseph’s Cathedral at Gunfoundry are over 100 years old and were gifted to the Cathedral by the Nizams. The historic antique tower clock which was not functioning for the last 20 years was repaired in a span of almost four months by Mr. G.V. Narsimhulu. He mentioned that the clock is a German made which is 2.2 feet in height and 1.65 width. The Clock’s mainwheel teeth, plate and lever teeth were broken. As many as 13 components were required to be restored of which Mr. Narasimhulu indigenously manufactured th 9 & restored the clock. (Deccan Chronicle, 6 April, 2009, p.6).

The Church Bells : Fr. Aloysius Ephrem Raju Alex as Parish Priest built ‘Apostolic Square’ in the premises of St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Gunfoundry Parish and on 23rd December, 2014 Archbishop Thumma Bala blessed & inaugurated the newly built ‘Apostolic Square’ there.

St. Joseph’s Block (earlier called Bishop Caprotti Building) : Fr. Aloysius Ephrem Raju Alex also took intitative to build ‘Bishop Caprotti Building’ in the place of clinic building and canteen on the other side of the Road in front of St. Joseph’s Cathedral. The Archdiocesan Committee set-up with Msgr. Swarna Bernard, VG Convener and Members : Fr. Yeruva Amal Kumar Francis, Chancellor & Procurator, Fr. Gali Samson and Fr. Vincent Arokiadas had discussions with the Parish Clergy and Parish Council Members with regard to the Building plan, matters relating to the present Caprotti Hall, contribution from the Archdiocese of Hyderabad for the construction, renting out the building and the rental amount to be used for Parish and giving certain percentage of the rent to Archdiocese of Hyderabad. The plan is to build Ground Floor and 4 Floors.

After following the due procedure and after obtaining the permission of the Archbishop Most Rev. Thumma Bala, he began the construction in August 2016. As per the recommendations of the Committee together with the Parish Clergy & Parish Council Members and Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body, the Archdiocese of Hyderabad granted Rs. 26,77,196/- towards construction of ‘Bishop Caprotti Building’ with the undertstanding that a release deed letter should be made between the Parish Community & the Archdiocese of Hyderabad stating that previous agreements made between Cathedral and Archdiocese of Hyderabad with regard to Capportti Hall stand cancelled. Fr. Aloysius Ephrem Raju Alex was transferred from Cathedral in May 2018. By the time of his transfer, he has completed the slab work and plastering of Ground Floor and Four Floors and also fixing of the doors and windows on one side is completed. The works yet to be completed were flooring, electrification, elevation, sanitary work, painting, lift, etc.

Fr. Yeruva Balshowry who was appointed Parish Priest in May 2018 took the construction work forward. St. Joseph’s Block was blessed & inaugurated by Most Rev. Thumma Bala D.D., Archbishop of Hyderabad on 21st December, 2019 on the occasion of 50th Year of the Priestly Ordination anniversary of Archbishop Thumma Bala. As per recommendations of the Archdiocesan Committee together with the Parish Clergy and Parish Council Members on 14th May, 2019, and further recommended by the Archdiocesan Consultors’ Body, ‘Bishop Capprotti’ Building, which is opposite to St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Gunfoundry (which is now named as St. Joseph’s Block to remove confusion), is given for lease by St. Joseph’s Cathedral Parish Priest and Parish Council Members to Hyderabad Archdiocese Educational Society (HAES) with the understanding that HAES would spend the amount required to finish the remaining works of flooring, electrification, elevation, sanitary work, painting, lift, etc, and HAES completed those works in collaboration with the Fr. Yeruva Balashowry Parish Priest & Parish Council Members of Cathedral Parish. After deducting the amount spent by HAES for the completion of the Building from the rent to be paid to Cathedral Parish, HAES would pay the rental amount regularily to the Cathedral Parish including remitting 15% of the rent every month to Archbishop’s House for which clear terms and conditions, would be entered into between HAES and St. Joseph’s Cathedral Parish Priest and Parish Council Members. ‘Bishop Capprotti Building’ from now on would be called ‘St. Joseph’s Block’.

Apart from pastoral care of the above mentioned Parish, Archdiocese runs St. Joseph’s Degree & P.G. College at King Koti Road, Hyderabad established in 1997. Over the years the College developed and in order to introduce new courses the exension of the College was done and this extended college started in Caprotti Hall at Gunfoundry. In May 2019 in order to further introduce new courses HAES has taken for lease St. Joseph’s Block belonging to Cathedral Parish. Total strength of St. Joseph’s Degree & P.G. College at King Koti Road in the Academic year 2019-2020 is 2855. Total strength of St. Joseph’s Degree & P.G. College (Extension Block) at Gunfoundry in the Academic year 2019-2020 is 900.

Pastoral Centre : St. Joseph’s Pastoral Centre of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad is situated at Gunfoundry, Hyderabad. It was established by PIME Missionaries in 1977. This Centre was taken over by Archdiocese of Hyderabad and the first Archdiocesan Director was Fr. Thumma Arla in 1981. As the Director he took initiative to start Marriage Preparation Course helped by Marriage Encounter Couples, Catechists In- service Programs all other Jyothirmai activities. He regularized catechism Syllabus and this regularized syllabus was taught in the educational Institutions. During his second tenure Fr. Thumma Arla purchased a four wheeler for the Centre. Pastoral centre functions under the guidelines of the Archbishop of Hyderabad. The spacious Pastoral Centre has an office & reception room, office of the Director of the Pastoral Centre, Office of the Youth Director, a big hall for meetings, refectory, Chapel & many rooms for stay. Main areas of work of the Pastoral Centre are: 1. Commission for Catechetics, 2. BCC & Jyothirmai Activities, 3. Commission for Laity and 4. Hyderabad Archdiocesan Choir (HAC).

1. COMMISSION FOR CATECHETICS : The Director of the Pastoral Centre is in charge of School catechism as well as Value Education. The catechism syllabus for all Catholic schools is prescribed by TCBC Catechetical Commission. Faith: Source of Life series consisting of 10 books is used in I to X standards of Catholic Schools of Andhra and Telangana. These books are also translated into Telugu for Telugu medium Schools. The catechism books are supplied to Catholic Schools from the Pastoral Centre. Catechetical Commission equips teachers with Seminar & training programs during the year. The centre conducts an annual Archdiocesan catechetical exam for the toppers of the Schools of all classes and awards them with cash prizes. TCBC Catechetical commission has also prepared Value Education Books for Catholic Schools. These are “Values in Action”, published by St. Paul’s. According to TCBC Catechetical Commission, these books are the official text books for Value Education in all the Catholic Schools of the Region.

2. COMMISSION FOR LAITY: Catholic Laity Association, known as CLASS, a registered Society and recognised by the Archdiocese of Hyderabad functions under Pastoral Centre. It is comprised mainly of Lay Catholic Professionals and business persons from various Parishes. The organisation’s primary objective is to serve the Lay Catholic community of the Archdiocese, to promote development of individuals and families as well as to actively encourage spiritual growth. Activities of CLASS are centred on four areas. i) Laity and the Church ii) Education iii) Development iv) Networking. Programmes currently undertaken are: A) Scholarships loans are given for a few Students who do well in studies and come from low income families. B) Annual Academic Excellence Awards are given to recognise and motivate top performing Students of Class X and Intermediate examination. The Students are felicitated along with their parents. C) Honouring of Top performing schools: Three top performing Schools and three Junior Colleges under Religious managements and three top Schools under Lay Catholic managements are felicitated every year. D) Bible Quiz for families is designed for an in-depth understanding of various aspects of faith. A special booklet is prepared for the participators of Quiz. Cash awards are given for the Quiz winners. E) Students Residential Camp is conducted by CLASS for learning and training of students. Professional speakers are engaged to impart skills on leadership, time management, goal setting, motivation, self-esteem, lateral thinking, etc.

3. BCC & JYOTHIRMAI ACTIVITIES: BCC Diocesan Animators There are 13 Animators working under the centre in 11 Parishes. At present there are 60 BCC groups. The animators go to Villages for prayer and Gospel sharing as per BCC norms. This practice stabilises and increases the faith of the people.

A.P. Jyothirmai Society Primary Education Scholarships - Poor Students are helped to continue their education through Jyothirmai Society scholarships. These are distributed through the Centre and by the Animators. Gnana Jyothi Bible Exam is conducted every year by Jyothirmai Society to increase the Bible knowledge among the Catholics. Many students come forward to participate in Bible Quiz competition. The winners are awarded prizes.

4. The Hyderabad Archdiocesan Choir (HAC) : HAC functions under Pastoral Centre. The Director of Pastoral Centre is its spiritual Director. The members of HAC have their meetings and training periodically. As of now 62 members from 21 Parishes are part of this Choir. Seven among them are teaching in different reputed Schools and nine are Choir Masters of their Parishes. Though HAC is essentially for liturgical singing, it has been invited to sing Carols at the Chief Minister’s Christmas program, the United Christmas Celebrations, Doordarshan and other local Television Channels. Mr. Michael Peria is incharge of HAC. He is the Director and a visiting Professor of Theology of Sacred Music in several Theologates across the country and Sri Lanka.

5. YOUTH COMMISSION: Hyderabad Archdiocese Youth Commission which functions from the Pastoral Centre strives to animate the young people in the Archdiocese from about 100 Parishes both in urban and rural parts, in order to be transforming leaders firmly founded on Catholic faith. Youth Commission is also in charge of YCS (Young Catholic Students) & YSM (Young Student Movement). The Secretary to the Commission is also the Chaplain for Diocesan Movements.

6. FAMILY APOSTOLATE: Family Commission of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad holds Marriage preparation course in the Pastoral Centre. MPC program is organised 8 times a year on second Saturday followed by Sunday. The programme assists engaged couples to discover the joy of being Catholics as well as the joy and empowerment of the Sacrament of Matrimony and how it has to be lived as their path to holiness.

7. ACCOMODATION: Pastoral Centre has PG Hostel for Girls. These girls come from different states for coaching in GATE, AEE, Postal Exam course, etc. for competitive exams in ACE Academy which is adjacent to Pastoral Centre. Pastoral Centre provides accommodation to people to conduct religious meetings or Seminars. School staff & students from other states who come on educational tours also seek accommodation in the Centre.

Men & Women Religious Congregations

Franciscan Missionaries Of Mary (FMM) :Sisters established their Rosary Convent at Gunfoundry in 1903. The mission of the Congregation is Education and proclaiming the Lord by their words and actions. They have Rosary Convent High School (E.M.), St. Helen’s Pre-primary School (LKG and UKG), Day Care Centre and St. Joseph’s High School (T.M.). They have taken up two slum areas, Nampally and Domalguda and are helping the poor slum students, who are studying in different Government Schools. Ministries in the Parish are visiting families, giving Holy Communion to sick people, teaching catechism classes in School premises, helping in decorating altar on feast days and solemnities and giving Holy Communion during the Holy Mass.

Monfort Brothers Of St. Gabriel (SG): :They have All Saints’ High School (EM & TM) at Gunfoundry, which was established in 1855. Little Flower High School at Chirag Ali Lane, which was established in 1953. St. Paul’s High School at Hyderguda established in 1955. Their ministry is to render services through Educational Apostolate.